Saturday, August 31, 2002

Last night I came home from work, had a small glass of whiskey and fell asleep on the couch. Woke half an hour later roaring hungry. Here is what I made.

Nachos from Scratch
Cut up 5 frozen, defrosted corn tortillas into triangle chips, and fried these in small batches in canola oil in my cast iron pan. Warmed up leftover black beans. Spread chips on baking tray, strew this with beans, and some chopped green chiles. Heated this in a 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes. Topped it with salsa (I like Enrico's), corn relish, sour cream, and avocado. Ambrosia.

Meals like this make me wonder why I am cooking for myself only most of the time. This is a perfect snack for two, though too informal and messy to serve guests. Personally, I would permanently swoon if someone made this for me. Alas. I guess in the meantime I will have to swoon for myself.